Tuesday 10 June 2014

Continuing drawing transformations - Negative Spaces

I spent some time today re-immersing myself in Betty Edwards "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" (Penguin Group, 2013), and conducted a little experiment.

Interesting results... In the first sketch, I used Betty Edwards approach to sketching, and I performed in a very methodical and systematic way, - as her book prescribes.  This is the result of about 45 minutes work;

Whearas, in this second sketch, I just did my usual thing, - I sketched freehand, using my normal process of building up the image based purely on my internal schemas to draw the garden chair.

I think (in some way to my confusion)... that the first drawing, that followed the Betty Edwards process, is a lot better! - It looks more accurate, it is more finished, and overall, I think it has much more going for it!

SO, LESSON LEARNED! - I NEED TO DO THIS COURSE!!!

Back to the drawing board for me then.... Drawing negative spaces makes for a much better drawing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to provide a comment, if you like something or don't like something, or there are errors, or you have additional observations or knowledge, it's all helpful to me - I always welcome feedback! - Thanks.