Friday 12 September 2014

Wehey!! - Got my Arc Welder working today!

It's been a long time coming, and today I finished the extra special high duty cable wiring into my workshop so that I can power up a 160 amp arc welding rig.  I've had the welding machine for over 18 months now, and it's been languishing in my special tools cupboard.  But today, I was able to dig it out and rig it up to the new high current commander style socket I've installed.  (Welding machines need BIG current, and so standard domestic UK plug and sockets are not capable of handling the extra power / current).

I haven't wielded an arc welder for over 30 years!...  I can still hear the immortal words from my welding instructor during my time as an apprentice, learning just about every fabrication method... I'll never forget him saying in a very broad "Manc" (Manchester for readers further afield) accent, whilst peering over my shoulder - "Hadfield lad - you wan£$r, that welding looks like bird Sh#t !!!".
He was a good old boy, I wonder whatever happened to these old legends... Never minced his words but we all thought he was brilliant and would have follwed him into battle anywhere.   Anyway, I followed the newer and more exciting electronics and computing route that was opening up, and the need for mechanical technicians with welding skills at the time was drying up.

So I just about got the hang of welding when my year of mechanical engineering training was nearly over.  I've never needed to do it since, but I always had a hankering to give it another go.  So here's my first attempt after some 33 or so years...


It's not total bird sh£t either, just a bit around the edges perhaps,  (ha ha ha) - and it was my first attempt in such a long time...



My second attempt was a bit better, but like all things, I will need to practice....



Third time better still....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to provide a comment, if you like something or don't like something, or there are errors, or you have additional observations or knowledge, it's all helpful to me - I always welcome feedback! - Thanks.